Never Put Water on an Electric Motor in Case of Fire, and More Tips About Electric Motor Repair in Columbia, TN
Electric fires are all too common in repair shops and industrial locations. Whether it’s old or defective wiring or fires that build up in motors, there’s always a risk of fire if one does not keep up with maintenance of these electric components.
Therefore, it’s important you take whatever steps necessary to mitigate potential electrical fire hazards. Take a look around and you’ll see these potential hazards just about everywhere—it could be something as innocuous as a pile of dust or a clump of spider webs. You should also be on the lookout for unprotected light bulbs in work areas (which could be hit, leading to fires) and should always be careful when drilling into walls so you do not hit any electrical wiring.
Here’s some information to keep in mind before and during electric motor repair in Columbia, TN.
Keep an eye on the power delivery system
Many electrical fires result from a misuse of or defects in the power delivery system. Wiring can fail because of faulty installation, physical damage, overloading or general aging and wear. When this happens, it’s important to replace the wiring and circuits to reduce the risk of fire.
Overloading circuits usually happens when more electrical devices are plugged into a single area than the circuit is designed to handle. Never overload circuits. If you start seeing dimmed lights, poor picture on your television or unreliable operation of certain appliances, these are warning signs you should heed. Avoid using multi-plug outlets and extension cords, unless absolutely necessary.
If you have a fuse that blows or a circuit breaker that trips regularly while the circuit isn’t overloaded, you should check for shorts or faults in the devices or the lines. Do not go back to normal usage of the circuit until you’ve fixed the problem.
Troubles caused by motors and power tools
It’s not uncommon for motor troubles to result in a fire. Overheating in electric motors can be a result of overloading, debris buildup, lack of ventilation, sparking or arcing, all of which can set fire to combustible materials (trash, grease, chaff) nearby. Therefore, you should prioritize keeping the areas around these motors clear of any combustible or flammable materials, and make sure those motors have lots of ventilation.
Some power tools can also pose hazards if they have faulty power cords, bad internal wiring or problems with the switches. If you notice that a tool makes strange sounds, smokes or creates a burnt smell, stop working immediately and get that tool fixed.
If a fire happens…
If you do experience an electrical fire, take immediate action. If it’s at the outlet, pull out the plug by the cord or turn off the main switch and call the fire department immediately. No matter where the fire is, use your CO2 fire extinguisher. NEVER, EVER put water on an electrical fire—this will only make matters worse. If you’re at all unsure about your ability to handle the fire, err on the side of letting the fire department take care of it, and get everyone out of the building.
For more information about electrical fires and how to handle them, contact Action Electric Motor & Pump Repair, your trusted experts in electric motor repair in Columbia, TN.
Categorised in: Motor Repair