Tips to Conserve and Enjoy Clean Water and a Clean Well
It may seem like water just appears whenever it’s needed. Turn the faucet one way and hot or cold water streams out. Turn it back and the water shuts off. However, we all need to be aware of our impact on the environment and conserve water as best we can, whether our household water supply comes from a public source or a private water well. Well owners are responsible for maintaining their wells to ensure the water is always safe and healthy to drink. That means testing well water quality every year and keeping system components clean.
Taking care of your private well helps avoid the need for costly water well service and repair in Columbia, TN, but you also want to ensure quality drinking water. Here are some well water tips to help homeowners keep their water clean.
Household tips for water quality and conservation
Water quality means the health of your water and the condition of your well water system, including plumbing, storage and water delivery components. Protect your household water supply and protect the environment with these tips:
- Water fixtures: Some older household water fixtures are not all that efficient. Replace them if you can afford to. Get low flow fixtures—like sink faucet aerators, shower heads and high-efficiency appliances—that use less water for bathing and washing.
- Skip the bathtub: Believe it or not, taking a shower instead of a bath uses less water. (That is, unless you tend to take extremely long showers.) If you do want to take a bath, check that the drain stopper is working so water doesn’t escape and force you to add more water.
- Fix drips: Dripping faucets in bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms and exterior hoses are not good for water conservation. All those drops of water add up fast, wasting hundreds of gallons of water every month.
- Look for leaks: Damp spots on walls and ceilings can be signs of leaks. Not only do leaks waste a ton of water, but they can also cause structural damage to your home. Don’t ignore them—make repairs right away.
Water quality tips
Check the water treatment system that goes between your water well and home, and test the water annually to be sure your drinking water is clean and safe:
- Use clean water filters: Maintain your water treatment system according to the owner’s manual, which may include cleaning and replacing filter cartridges. Don’t leave filters in past their change-by date and schedule professional services periodically.
- Maintain your softener system: Your well water softener system is in place to provide pleasant feeling and good tasting water. Check salt levels monthly to keep your system running great. Your softener system blocks minerals from getting into your water supply and helps the well work efficiently.
- Wash storage containers: Storing water in dirty containers increases the chances of you and your family drinking unsafe water. Use clean water bottles and water pitchers with replaceable filters.
For quality water well service and repair in Columbia, TN, don’t hesitate to call Action Electric Motor & Pump Repair!
Categorised in: Water Well Service & Repair