Do you have a private well on your property? If so, spring time is the perfect time of year for you to get your entire well system tuned up. After all, people tend to use more water during the spring and summer, which means it makes sense to check that the entire system is in good condition before you really get deep into this time of the year.
Here are just a few tips for performing some general maintenance this spring that will allow you to avoid more significant and costly well pump repair in Columbia, TN later this summer:
- Only let a professional do the work: Avoid the temptation to try and save some money by tuning up your own well. If you attempt to service your own well, you will likely not solve any problems, and could potentially make them worse, because most people who own their own wells do not have the training or certification needed to get the job done properly. It’s better to call in a professional to handle the job for you and avoid mistakes.
- Well maintenance checks: Your spring tune-up for your well should include a bacterial test. Any source of drinking water should be tested routinely, but especially if you’ve noticed any changes in appearance, odor or taste. Performing these checks will help you ensure your drinking water is safe.
- Well cover: Your spring maintenance can include checks of the well cover or cap on top of the casing. This will reassure you that it is in good condition and does not need to be repaired at all before the heavier usage of spring and summer begins.
- Back-siphonage: Preventative maintenance with your water well system will help you make sure you’re properly preventing back-siphonage. This means you’ll be able to make sure any pesticides, fertilizers or other chemicals you use on your property aren’t getting pulled back into your water source.
- Proper sloping: Well technicians will check the area around your well to make sure there is a proper slope away from your well to ensure good drainage. The top of the well should be at least a foot above the ground, with the slope coming down from there. You may need to adjust your landscaping if the slope is not sufficient.
- Changes in the well: Your spring tune-up allows you to determine if there have been any changes in your well, the area around your well or the water it provides to you and your family.
- General age and condition checks: Wells do eventually reach the end of a serviceable life, so having these checks performed every year can give you an update into how much service the well has left in it, and if you need to start thinking about sealing the well up and constructing a new system.
For more information about the importance of spring tune-ups for your water systems, or for help with well pump repair in Columbia, TN, reach out to the experts at Action Electric Motor & Pump Repair today.
Categorised in: Well Pump Repair