What You Should Never Do to Your Water Well
Unlike homeowners who are connected to the city water system, people with water wells can’t rely on city officials to take care of all their drinking water needs. These homeowners need to know how to properly care for their well and how to avoid issues with water well in Columbia, TN. Continue reading to learn a few of the things you shouldn’t do when it comes to your well water system:
- Install near contaminants: Proper water well ownership starts on day one when you install your well. Make sure that your well is at least 100 feet from any contaminants, including oil, septic or chemical storage tanks. Keeping your well far away from those contaminants helps ensure your water is safe to consume.
- Dump pollutants: In addition to constructing your well far from any sources of contaminants, you’ll want to ensure you’re keeping household pollutants away from your well. Weed killer, fertilizer and pesticides applied or dumped near your well could contaminate the water, making everyone in your household ill.
- Neglect the wellhead: The wellhead is responsible for keeping pollutants out and your drinking water safe, so it’s a good idea to perform regular inspections to ensure it’s not cracked or otherwise damaged. Take care while mowing around the wellhead, as lawnmowers are responsible for tons of damage.
- Hire an unqualified contractor: Our last piece of advice on what not to do to your water well in Columbia, TN involves hiring someone to inspect and maintain your well. Hiring any untrained or undertrained individuals leads to big problems with both your well and your drinking water. Always check for certifications and licensure before agreeing to work with anyone.
Things to do
On top of knowing what not to do to your water well in Columbia, TN, it’s important that you follow all of these steps to keep your water safe and your well in tip-top shape:
- Test the water: We recommend testing your well water at least once a year to ensure it’s free from harmful bacteria or other contaminants. If you have infants, elderly or other at-risk people in your home, you may want to have the water tested more frequently. Additionally, if there’s any flooding in the area, have the water tested once the flood water has subsided.
- Clean up around the wellhead: As mentioned above, the wellhead is crucial in keeping your drinking water safe, so do your part to tidy up the area surrounding it. Raking leaves, shoveling snow and removing any other debris from around the wellhead only takes a few minutes and does wonders to keep your well safe.
- Install a water softener: You should also consider installing a water softener system in your house. A water softener helps remove calcium, magnesium, iron and other minerals found in most well water. With a water softener in place, your water will taste better and be cleaner.
Hire our team at Action Electric Motor & Pump Repair
As you know, one of the best ways to avoid issues with your water well in Columbia, TN is to never hire an underqualified plumbing contractor to work on your well. Instead of hiring the first company you find online, choose Action Electric Motor & Pump Repair! We’re your one-stop shop for all of your well needs. From installation to repairs and maintenance, we do it all!
Categorised in: Water Well Systems